We believe strongly that Patient education is a cornerstone of medical care. As such, we have provided a variety of educational tools for our patients. The word 'Doctor' was originally an agentive noun of the Latin verb docēre [dɔˈkeːrɛ] 'to teach'.
These include interesting articles published in our newsletters and on Dr. B's Blog. Join the discussion on Facebook to receive updates from the practice. View educational videos on Dr. Bernstein's YouTube Channel and through our Educational Video Slideshows. You can also join Twitter to follow Dr. B's Tweets about topical items of interest and ways to live longer, healthier lives.
A preventive medicine manual, written by Dr. Bernstein and entitled, May You Live a Long and Healthy Life: A Personal Guide to Optimal Health and Healthy Aging is available through our front office.
Dr. Bernstein's YouTube Channel
Dr. Bernstein's Blog
Dr. Bernstein on Twitter
Our Practice's Facebook Page
Educational Video Slideshows
Asthma and Allergy and Asthma Fact Sheet
- Allergic Rhinitis is the fifth most costly health condition in the United States. It trails only hypertension, heart disease, mental illness and arthritis.
- Allergic Rhinitis affects 25% of the population
- Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis include runny nose, itchy nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion
- Allergic Rhinitis is associated with the following diseases: Asthma, sinusitis, otitis media, and recurrent respiratory tract infections.
- Children with symptoms of allergic rhinitis score one test score lower than when their symptoms are treated.
- Allergic Rhinitis is associated with the following: Decreased attention and reaction times, decreased cognitive function, fatigue, impaired sleep, decreased productivity at work
- 7.7% of the population is currently diagnosed with asthma
- Over 12 million people have an asthma attack each year
- Over 500,000 people are hospitalized annually due to asthma
- Over 4000 deaths a year are attributed to asthma
- The Keys to controlling asthma as identified by the NIH guidelines include proper diagnosis, identification and treatment of environmental triggers, proper use of medication, patient education
- Asthma is a disease of both airway inflammation and spasm of airways
- Airway inflammation causes changes to the basement membrane of the airways which predispose the patient to further asthma attacks. These changes can be controlled with medication but never go away.
Asthma and Allergy:
Aesthetic Medicine services: